"If I remember correctly, we graduated from HS on March 21, 1960. ...5 days after March 16...the day Philippines was discovered by Magellan in 1521."-Sari

"O.M.G., We are RICH! Silver in the Hair. Gold in the Teeth. Crystals in the Kidneys. Sugar in the
Blood. Lead in the Ass. Iron in the Arteries. And… an inexhaustible supply of Natural Gas.
We never thought we'd accumulate such wealth."







Monday, March 28, 2011

A LITTLE FIGHTING LADY

"If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together...there is something you must always remember, you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...I'll always be with you."- From Winnie the Pooh

Blogged By Evelyne Dirige Resella : The above quote is from a loving honey bear & favorite Disney character named Winnie the Pooh. He's a famous fat and jolly good yellow bear wearing a red vest. His quote about life & friendship is something to reflect about in our leisurely age as we look back at our achievements while we walk down the golden road. We have all arrived and have done something..... great or small.

WELCOME BACK! FLORDELIZA ALCANTARA-REYES- PWU HS CLASS 1960

I have known Flor, since our freshman year in h.s. We remained friends till college at U.P. Many classmates went to U.P. but it was only Flor who remained connected to me. I saw Linda Chacon & Raquel Tadena while at U.P. but somehow, we drifted apart. I didn't encounter Cora, Sari & Lani. They probably took the left stairs while I took the right. Yoly Bello & Lydia Aunario were my classmates in U.P. Fine Arts, so I saw them a lot. Flor & I often met at the Arts & Science building where I took some general educations subjects. Sometimes we had lunches together. I did't know what happened after our second year in college. We just lost contact of each other. Like Sari, I tried to find Flor, before our 50th reunion in 2010. I asked the help of a friend who lives in New Jersey but failed to locate her. Somehow, I didn't stop thinking about her. I knew that she's somewhere here among us in the U.S.


With luck, Flor found our PWU blog and e-mailed Sari. She finally got out of her "lungga" as Sari called it. I e-mailed her right away, and she replied as fast as a jet. She told me to see her on the (YOU TUBE, FWN), 2007- 100 Most Influential Filipina in USA. WOW! I could hardly believed that one of our classmates got that kind of award. Flor was the quiet type back then. How she became like Hilary Clinton is a big puzzle to me. But I was hilariously happy to see her again. Welcome to our group-the wonderful & successful PWU h.s. class 1960. Yes, there's no class like ours. Hurray! I liked an e-mail from Tess (TOG). She said....We are also very proud of each and everyone of the PWU H.S 1960 whether there is or isn't a special mention - if only for the friendship , for the sharing and even if it is just for sincerely listening to one another - I'd say not all classes, past graduated, have this kind of connection. From our Canadian northern vantage point - our lips may be quiet but our hearts swell with pride for you all. FLOR AT PRESENT -MARCH 22,2011- LOS ANGELES While in the Philippines, I never developed my full potential because my parents over protected me. I was a cry baby in U.P. because I cried twice in the classroom. My classmates told me that our professors had crush on me. Our car driver or maid fetched me from school even as a professor at UE, PWU and Pamantasan. It was at Columbia University (New York) while finishing my second masters that allowed me to reach my maximum capability as I had to survive on my own. However, up to now, I usually keep quiet even during deliberations in government agencies but once I am provoked, I finished to the end. That's why the senators, assemblyman, councilors, mayors, etc. branded me as little fighting lady. I learned the hard way to fend for myself. Kaya itim o paru-paru(kastila) qwedaw sa akin lalo na sa loob ng prison pero mahal nila ako dahil I respected the inmates and was fair to them. I went through personal challenges and took PWU President De Guzman and Hillary Clinton as my role models.I never allowed the obstacles to be stumbling blocks but the motivation to break the glass ceiling in American mainstream.


I started my immigrant ministry in metropolitan New York 1994 and continued it here re-entitled Come Christian Outreach and Migrant Enculturation geared towards the minority specifically new Filipino migrant workers. I am also the Vice president of the United Methodist Women and lay speaker/preacher of the Casa Grande United Methodist Church. The world of politics is full of intrigues and deception; I just accepted the task in order to defend the immigrants. Otherwise I won't even get involved. They called me the little fighting lady when I served as the first Asian Trustee of the Jersey City Board of Education. I also run as councilor in 1989 and 2001 in Jersey City. I was a Commissioner of the Jersey City and County of Hudson involving 12 cities. I was also appointed by President Clinton as a member of the Clinton/Gore Asian American Governing Council based in Washington,D.C. Though politics runs in my blood as my uncle former Governor Robles of Quezon, Cousin constitutional delegate, grand father, council president, Siniloan, Laguna, I do not like it but then took the challenge in order to be that advocate for Filipinos and other immigrants in metropolitan New York area. Kaya nga umalis na sa world of politics in order to dedicate the last years of my life with my family,to God and my hobbies, i e. cooking, gardening & biking. Of course, to get in touch with all of you. Noon ang time ko ay para sa madlang tao...kaya ngayon I control my time. I am only close to the PWUAA1960 colleagues and my brothers and sisters in Christ.


EDUCATIONAL PROFILE AND ACHIEVEMENTS: PRE-LAW, UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES, MASTER OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION, PWU, M.A. BUSINESS, COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY, NEW YORK, NY


OTHER ACHIEVEMENTS:1.ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT, NJ DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS, 2002-2009 2.COMMISSIONER , JERSEY CITY / HUDSON COUNTY CULTURAL AFFAIRS 2004-2009 3.LISTED IN WHO'S WHO IN AMERICAN WOMEN, 1992 4.PHILIPPINE PRESIDENTIAL (CORY AQUINO) AWARDEE, 1991 5. JERSEY JOURNAL (NEWSPAPER) WOMAN OF ACHIEVEMENT AWARD,1985


PAST & PRESENT PROJECTS: Published book with US Library of Congress "Filipino Who's Who in the East Coast" *Books to be published soon: 1. Inside the Prison Walls 2. How A Minority, Professional Woman Survived The American Mainstream: A Guide Form Of Religious Perspective

AWARD NIGHT:Flor was awarded as one of 100 Most Influential Women in USA with husband, Ramon L.Reyes- President-Casa Grande Chess Club & Arizona Parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment