"If I remember correctly, we graduated from HS on March 21, 1960. ...5 days after March 16...the day Philippines was discovered by Magellan in 1521."-Sari

"O.M.G., We are RICH! Silver in the Hair. Gold in the Teeth. Crystals in the Kidneys. Sugar in the
Blood. Lead in the Ass. Iron in the Arteries. And… an inexhaustible supply of Natural Gas.
We never thought we'd accumulate such wealth."







Saturday, April 30, 2011

"SUNFLOWER" PAINTING

"Humans can be seen like the sunflower. Sunflowers shine, they stick together and they are so beautiful."-Anonymous OIL PAINTING BY EVELYNE DIRIGE RESELLA- "SUNFLOWER"-

Do you remember this Sunflower? Looks familiar isn't it? I used this as our logo for our first PWU blog-"Gintong-Ala-Ala" (Golden Memories). I wrote in the introduction of our PWU blog "Gintong Ala-ala" that the sunflower is a good symbol and reflection of our high class 1960.
I like golden sunflower because it signifies that even though we, the "golden girls" reached our golden years, we continue to "BLOOM BRIGHTLY."

I painted this golden sunflower many years ago and posted it first on my art blog: http://forever-art.blogspot.com/
This painting was inspired by Vincent Van Gogh's many famous Sunflower oil paintings. I am not sure its as good as Van Gogh's. Nevertheless, I painted my version of the sunflower with the same passion and pleasure like him.
Why VG painted sunflowers? Sunflowers had a special significance for Vincent Van Gogh. He made 11 oil paintings of them. The twelve "Sunflowers" now on display at the London Art Museum is the most popular of them all. For Van Gogh, the yellow sunflowers represented happiness and light.
The sunflower paintings were the most often reproduced on cards, posters, mugs, tea-towels and stationery. It was also the picture that Van Gogh was most proud of. It was painted during a rare period of excited optimism, while Van Gogh awaited the arrival of his hero, the avant-garde painter Paul Gauguin. The lonely and passionate Vincent had moved to Arles, in the South of France. The 'Sunflowers' was intended to impress Gauguin and was a gesture of friendship.
Van Gogh was a Dutch artist. Also in Dutch literature, the sunflower was a symbol of devotion and loyalty. In their various stages of decay, these flowers also remind us of the cycle of life and death.

Last April 2011, I decided to part & sell my Sunflower oil painting. My deepest gratitude to Puri for supporting my art & believing in my artistic talent. I am very picky to whom my babies (oil paintings) will live. It's sad to part w/ many of my other paintings but I am happy at the same time because it's now in the care & ownership of our dear classmate, Puri. I hope this sunflower will continue to bring happiness to her, family & friends.
"I love your own version of sunflower painting. It is more refined, has depth and tells a story. It's peering through an archway which could represent the walls and gateway of our alma mater against a blue sky. Framed by brick walls that gave us a sense of security thru learning as we marched outside its gates to experiment and experience life after graduation. I simply love it. That flower is us."- Puri Capistrano Laconico

No comments:

Post a Comment